Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation (GCPR) is taking steps to improve health and wellness in our community by developing Park Rx, which emphasizes utilizing parks as part of a healthy lifestyle. Park Rx efforts formed a Walk the Talk program by partnering with health care professionals, organized free yoga and wellness events, created tobacco free play zones, increased wellness and fitness program options, required healthy vending selections, established health and wellness standards, and emphasized healthy lifestyles to summer campers.
In 2014 Park Rx launched Live Healthy Gwinnett with partners like Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, UGA Extension Gwinnett, Eastside Medical Center, and Gwinnett County Health Department to reach beyond the parks to bring personal health and wellness to residents throughout the county. To learn more about Live Healthy Gwinnett, visit livehealthygwinnett.com.
Did you know?
The county’s Parks and Recreation system has an incredibly diverse range of facilities and programs that you can enjoy:
- Disc Golf Courses: Tee off at your choice of three 18-hole courses, free to use every day of the week!
- Senior Recreation: Active adults enjoy many special events, art and fitness classes, aqua exercise, club activities, tennis, pickleball and even day trips!
- Aquatic Centers: Have a splashing good time at one of the Aquatic Centers or pools featuring water slides, lazy rivers, beach entry, fitness classes and swim lessons.
- Trails: Enjoy walking, mountain biking, horseback riding on the trails or hiking the greenway! Call the trails hotline at 770-978-5270 for conditions on all 128 miles!
- Activities: Ranging from martial arts, dance, and gymnastics classes to holiday events, workshops and art instruction – there is even a pottery studio!
Have your party in the park!
Visit gwinnettparks.com, call the facility or 770-822-8840 to book your party room, pavilion, banquet room, or meadow!
Also published on Medium.