Empowering your children causes them to believe that they have the power to pursue their dreams. An empowered child will grow up to be an adult who can create a rewarding life and achieve his/her goals.
- While grocery shopping: Give your kids their own shopping lists and encourage questions.
- Ask their opinions.
- When children tell you about future dreams, such as what they want to be when they grow up: Encourage them, no matter how absurd the goal.
- Apologize when you make a mistake.
- When children feel afraid or upset: Acknowledge their feelings and respect them as genuine, so they feel validated and safe to express that emotion.
- Use positive affirmations, such as “You are helpful and caring.” This will increase your child”s self confidence, positive attitude and beliefs needed to create joyful experiences
- Let them experience being frustrated, struggling, making mistakes, and finding a solution.
- When you want your child to do something: Give limited choices instead of a direct order or threat. Example: “Do you want to put the big blocks away first, or the small blocks?”
- Let them say “no” to you, when appropriate.
- Give children greater responsibilities.
- Love them unconditionally, for who they are, not what they do.
- When you say “I love you”: Look into your child”s eyes, with sincerity.