July is designated National Park and Recreation Month and Gwinnett County Parks & Recreation (GCPR) is kicking off the celebration with special events including music, games, swimming, food and more! The theme this year is “Tell us why You Love Your Parks!”# and Gwinnett Parks will be featuring lovable flat Ray, Rosie, and Rosco doing just that.#The characters” coloring pages can be downloaded from www.gwinnettparks.com or young artists can stop by any of the Community Recreation Centers to pick up coloring pages and participate throughout the month.
Gwinnett Parks are encouraging everyone to have their pictures taken with Flat Ray and Rosie exploring the parks. Pictures can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be featured on the website throughout the month.
Gwinnett Parks are also sponsoring an art show. Artwork depicting the theme “Tell us why You Love Your Parks!”# can be submitted by park patrons to any Community Recreation Center. The art will be displayed throughout July.
The various events are as follows:
- July 1, Red, White, Blue & Watermelon Too at Bethesda Park Senior Center.# Event starts at 1 p.m. with patriotic music, craft and watermelon.#Pre-register at 678.277.0179, $3/person.
- July 1-6, Swim Safely Week at various Gwinnett County Aquatic Facilities with games, activities and prizes given throughout the week.
- July 5, Brown Bag Concert at Gwinnett Historic Courthouse at 11 a.m. featuring Havana Son.# This is a free event featuring entertainment and activities.
- July 13, Family Pizza & Bingo Night at Shorty Howell Park Activity Building at 6:30 p.m.# Pre-register at 678.277.0900, $5/person.
- July 20, Dog Day at the Park at Lenora Park from 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. Free event celebrating National Hot Dog Day.# This free event will feature inflatables, vendors, food, kids” activities and face painting.# Bring your pooch and celebrate with us.
- July 27, NFL”s Punt, Pass & Kick at Rhodes Jordan Park at 2 p.m.#This event is free and open to boys and girls ages 6 to 15.